Strong and Caring Domestic and Family Law Attorneys in Orangeburg, South Carolina
Protecting your interests throughout the process of divorce and other family law matters
Family law deals with sensitive emotional and financial issues that affect individuals and families for the rest of their lives. Whether you are seeking a divorce, a military divorce, a child custody agreement or a modification of your original divorce agreement, Horger and Connor, LLC is here to help you.
We have 42 years of combined experience in this area of law, which requires abilities in negotiation and litigation. We are also knowledgeable about changes in family law and procedures. Realizing that each family situation is unique, we focus on the particular needs of your case to achieve positive results that benefit you and your family. We offer sound advice and practical ways to resolve your family law matters. We thoroughly prepare every case for trial in the event negotiations are not successful. We represent clients in the following areas of family law:
- Divorce ― Dissolution of a marriage occurs when a marriage is legally terminated. Dissolution actions can be uncontested or contested. We provide you with experienced guidance on either.
- Property division ― We help divorcing parties come to an agreement on how marital property will be distributed.
- Spousal support or alimony ― If divorcing parties cannot agree in writing to spousal support or alimony, then the court awards it. We help you receive the most favorable outcome.
- Child custody and visitation ― We negotiate parenting and visitation agreements to reduce future modifications.
- Child support ― This is determined by formulas set by the state. We ensure the court has accurate information to reach a fair decision on your behalf.
- Modifications ― These are changes made to final agreements or court orders relating to child custody, visitation and support when there has been a substantial change in circumstances. We can protect your interests.
- Adoption ― We assist clients seeking private, interstate or international adoptions as well as stepparent and grandparent or other family member adoptions and ensure that the process moves efficiently.
- Guardianships ― We have extensive experience in guardianships of people and their property, conservatorship of their assets and protection of the rights of legal guardians.
- Paternity actions ― These are actions filed to assist a parent in acknowledging and protecting important visitation, custody and support rights. We advocate for your interests in these types of actions.
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements ― We draft these agreements to protect your separate assets from those of your intended or existing spouse.
What to do when two sets of divorce laws intersect in a military divorce
Military service can be hard on a marriage. Bill Connor has more than 20 years of experience, knowledge and skill in the successful handling of military divorces of servicemen and servicewomen and their non-service spouses.
It can get complicated when you have to abide by two sets of laws, Army regulations and South Carolina state divorce laws. No one needs added stress at this already stressful time. Mr. Connor is here to advocate and support you through the divorce process. He believes in creating amicable agreements that work for all parties. If this is not possible, he aggressively protects your interests in court.
The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) is a federal law that prevents deployed servicemen or servicewomen from being held in default for a delayed response to a divorce action. These laws are crucial in war time because they protect active members of the military from being divorced without even knowing it. We can fully explain this law to you.
Bill Connor can assist you with the key issues in military divorce, including:
Experienced divorce and family law representation in Orangeburg, South Carolina
For assistance with a divorce, a military divorce or other family law matter, call Horger and Connor, LLC at 888-612-4302 or contact us online to set up a free initial consultation so we can evaluate your case.